Hospital levy

PAL

Re: Hospital levy

Post by PAL »

I contacted the auditors office. Hospitall levy and MPD are the same Prop number. Said it happens and that it is normal, etc. They will refer to it as the Hospital Levy to avoid confusion when they are talking about it.
Pearl Cherrington
PAL

Post by PAL »

Well stated. I am appalled that this person would not vote for the hospital levy but would the pool. Talk about srewed up values. I bet I know this person too.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:10 am Good on you for the sign. I was just re-reading the paper about the hospital levy. This is an excess levy, I believe. Hospitals are certainly essential but people may not vote for this either. I do think this puts pressure for people not to vote for the MPD, however. I'll probably vote for the hospital levy. If they can make it a hospital that has more than it has now, and save trips to Wenatchee I am all for it. Ultimately Wenatchee and beyond is the place to have any major work done.
thanks, first I was a little nervous walking around with a sign but once I had a good number of people telling me that they supported my efforts and were voting against the MPD Proposition 1 , I felt it was worth it.

Yes, the Hospital Levy is an excess Levy and all seniors on the senior and people with disabilities County tax exemption program do not pay that excess levy or any other excess Levy.

That's good news as that levy will not increase property taxes for those low/ income folks.

The Metropolitan Park District proposal on Proposition 1 is considered a regular Levy. Seniors and people with disabilities on the tax exemption program will still pay part of that regular Levy at level 1 and level 2 of the program. If your income puts you into level 3 category you pay all of the regular levy on that program.

That's bad news because that luxury pool tax on prop 1 MPD measure WILL increase property taxes for all those low income seniors on that program.

I was kind of surprised that a Friends of the pool board member would tell me that at first glance she's not voting for the Hospital Levy.

So she supports a her luxury pool MPD tax that increases the taxes for low income seniors (and other low income people) but at first glance, not a hospitol essential services levy where low income seniors are exempt from paying that tax.

Human behavior always surprises me because she is obviously an extemely caring person.

That's the conundrum of this whole issue. The folks proposing the indoor luxury pool are good people and an asset to our community.

Let's vote no on the prop 1 MPD Aquatic Center and send the FOP back to develop a new plan that is more in line with Community needs vs desire and doesn't place a burden on people who can't afford it.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
PAL

Post by PAL »

Good on you for the sign. I was just re-reading the paper about the hospital levy. This is an excess levy, I believe. Hospitals are certainly essential but people may not vote for this either. I do think this puts pressure for people not to vote for the MPD, however. I'll probably vote for the hospital levy. If they can make it a hospital that has more than it has now, and save trips to Wenatchee I am all for it. Ultimately Wenatchee and beyond is the place to have any major work done.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

I had to change my Farmers Market sign to be clear it was against the luxury pool. The ladies thought I was against the hospital levy. I explained to her that Three Rivers Hospital saved my father's life so I would definitely be voting yes for the hospital level. Plus hospitals are an essential service.

What I thought was interesting was that one of the ladies at the yes on Proposition 1 Farmers Market table, told me that her initial assessment is that she's not going to vote for the hospital levy. They had no idea that was going to be on the ballot.
chris2.jpg
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

PAL wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:00 pm What? Can they have 2 Prop ones?
That's why our signage has to be very specific.
Our yard sign specifically states "NO to Metropolitan Park District"... :-)
yardsign2.png
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:00 pm What? Can they have 2 Prop ones?
the Three Rivers Hospital ladies are going to check into that. Y

I agree, we have to make sure people know our School District prop 1 is a luxury pool tax.
Last edited by Fun CH on Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAL

Post by PAL »

What? Can they have 2 Prop ones?
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

I spoke with the 3 River Hospital levy ladies at the Farmers market today. The Hospital levy is considered an "excess" levy as opposed to the Metropolitan Park District "Regular".

That's important distinction as far as the amount of money on the property taxes that a low income senior, who is on the senior property tax exemption program pays. As the chart below shows, all three income level tiers of this program are exempt from paying this excess levy.

Seniors are not exempt however from paying all or part of the regular levy tax depending on your income tier.

Level 3 - You are exempt from paying excess levies and Part 2 of the state school levy. Generally
speaking, excess levies are the voter-approved levies.

Level 2 - You are exempt from paying excess levies, Part 2 of the state school levy, and regular levies
on $50,000 or 35% of the assessed taxable value, whichever is greater (but not more than $70,000 of
the taxable value).

Level 1 - You are exempt from paying excess levies,
Part 2 of the state school levy, and regular levies on $60,000 or 60% of the assessed taxable value, whichever is greater.

Income limits including Social Security income (thanks Pearl)
Okanogan
Level 1 $30,300
Level 2 $35,350
Level 3 $41,000
Deferral $45,450

Some confusion today because proposition 1 is the name on the ballot for the 3 Rivers Hospital levy as well as the Mega spa levy for our school district.
Last edited by Fun CH on Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
PAL

Post by PAL »

Discussion starting on other BB. We have been told this: The discussion has been respectful but factual
As you organize your thoughts and discussions around the pool I respectfully request that you bear in mind that the folks involved with Friends of the Pool are your neighbors and community volunteers attempting to solve a serious community need. Please be kind. They have worked very hard on this project and have asked others to join them. Please take the time to speak with them and ask questions if you haven’t already. If you care about a pool, join them and help make the proposal and communication around the proposal better. Not having a pool is a very real possibility, and if we work together we can ensure that doesn’t happen on our watch. Let’s make it a question how, not if we have a public pool.
Betsy Cushman

The discussion has been respectful but factual. And I think kind. They have worked hard at wanting an MPD first and foremost. Never mind specific details.
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Hospital levy

Post by pasayten »

I believe the hospital levy will put great negative pressure on the potential passage of Proposition 1...
Three Rivers Hospital has placed a $72 million bond issue proposal on the November ballot, asking voters in Okanogan Douglas Hospital District 1 (including the Methow Valley) to support construction of a new hospital to replace aging facilities that date back to 1949. The 30-year bond issue, which must be approved by a 60% supermajority, would impose an additional $1.39 per $1,000 of assessed value on property owners in the 2,500-square-mile district, which includes portions of both Okanogan and Douglas counties.
$1.39 per $1000 for the hospital and $0.75 per $1000 for the metropolitan park district (MPD) totals $2.14 per $1000... That large amount in itself will definitely sour the voters in November! Plus weighing the importance of a hospital serving the critical needs for all versus a mega aquatics complex serving the non-essential comforts of a few.

Good for us nopooltax/no MPD folks... Bad for the Friends Of The Pool (FOTP) folks... Let's keep getting the truth of the MPD out and educating the voters!!! The FOTP folks are running scared as the truth of their fiasco comes into the light...

Vote NO on Proposition 1 :D
pasayten
Ray Peterson