PAL

Re: Letter from FOTP Proposition 1 Leader

Post by PAL »

Last 2 paragraphs says it all, Chris.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:16 pm I was being facetious in saying the removal of eminent domain makes me feel better.
Are you kidding"(Not you, just rhetorical) Eminent domain last time was one of the deal breakers, but the real deal breaker was an increase in property taxes and loss of controlled or being controlled by a few.
FOP wants what they want, without any seeming regard for the 8% in the district, nor those like the letter I posted from the EMT.
Yeah, too bad Ray wasn't involved in the beginning. Wonder if they would have listened.
In a grouchy mood about this. Attitude adjustment time.
I think a lot of people are "In a grouchy mood about this."

The FOP has been caught spreading misinformation by one of their board members and Justin replied to the eminent domain issue with a non transparent word salad. They simply aren't being transparent in their actions now, so what can voters expect in the future if this proposition moves forward?

I'm wondering if both FOP board member Blue Bradley and Justin will be seeking seats on the Board of Commissioners which allows them to set their own pay scale. So are you both seeking Board positions?

Any MPB board member really won't have to worry about increased property taxes even though FOP uses that concern as a selling point. They stated that they don't like high taxes either so they hope to keep the levy rate low without telling us what that levy rate will be.

No worries though, the MPD board members control their own wages. Sweet deal yea?

Add to that the obvious conflicts of interest with the architect promoting this measure which is clearly a self interest gain to the tune of $180,000+ to a potential design contract.

FOP chose the most expensive option for an indoor mega Spa complex using the most voter exclusionary tax district when choosing to form a powerful Metropolitan Park District.

The friends of the pool never sent out a scoping letter to voters to help determine the needs of the community. They don't seem to care what's best for the community and especially the low and fixed income people living here, which is consistent with the poor ethics when seeking self- interest goals.

The voters defeated a similar MPD measure in 78% to 22%, was that 2013? . Our voices should have been heard back then. Perhaps they're thinking enough of those voters have been displaced out of the valley due to the increasing cost of living and now have a chance with newer community members (which I have always welcomed here).

As a semi-retired person at age 68 on a low fixed income with a now high property value, I think about whether or not we will be forced to leave this Valley that I helped build when working as a low wage Carpenter (until recently rural Valley wages had not been on the same level as what you could earn in the larger cities).

So yea, their is reason to be stressed about having to deal with this issue once again.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
PAL

Post by PAL »

On the other hand, it the mailer would catch their eye. Don't want to be discouraging.
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

About the mailer. I'd be careful about the money you spend on those. It has been found, in an organization I volunteered for, that most people throw them out right away at the PO. How did we know. We looked in the trash and recycling!
Information noted... :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

I was being facetious in saying the removal of eminent domain makes me feel better.
Are you kidding"(Not you, just rhetorical) Eminent domain last time was one of the deal breakers, but the real deal breaker was an increase in property taxes and loss of controlled or being controlled by a few.
FOP wants what they want, without any seeming regard for the 8% in the district, nor those like the letter I posted from the EMT.
Yeah, too bad Ray wasn't involved in the beginning. Wonder if they would have listened.
In a grouchy mood about this. Attitude adjustment time.
About the mailer. I'd be careful about the money you spend on those. It has been found, in an organization I volunteered for, that most people throw them out right away at the PO. How did we know. We looked in the trash and recycling!
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Great... Thanks...
The newsletter program via email to subscribers will be adequate for the next couple of months and I can handle that... only $20/month.

Then if we decide to do the mass mailing to all Valley residents, I will start a donation campaign to raise the $1,500. That covers design, printing, and mailing.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Ray
I am presuming you mailer will point out the disadvantages of voting for Prop1. Please PM me your address so I might make a donation for covering the cost of the mail out flyers, probably won't be much but hopefully any little bit will help.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Do you happen to know how the opposition Viewpoint in the voter ballot is written and by who?
No I do not... Something we should definitely look into...

I started a newsletter signup option that will popup on the webpage so I can start sending out informative news. Only costs about $20/month

Also checked into a mass mailing of a 6x9 card... about $1,500 for the whole district.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:59 am
I'm sorry I just don't trust people that believe taxing the 20% of the people in the voter District who are living at or below poverty level in order to construct a luxury spa complex is morally sound.
Actually, the demographics for the School District are 8.3% living below poverty level... 20% is a county wide value.
thanks for the clarification Ray. I'll recheck that number in the FOP study. That of course does not change the point of increased taxes hurting the poor.

Do you happen to know how the opposition Viewpoint in the voter ballot is written and by who?
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

I'm sorry I just don't trust people that believe taxing the 20% of the people in the voter District who are living at or below poverty level in order to construct a luxury spa complex is morally sound.
Actually, the demographics for the School District are 8.3% living below poverty level... 20% is a county wide value.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:19 am We have an answer on how eminent domain was removed from the Proposition 1 Aquatics District.
Ray,

I really appreciate your curiosity and effort to understand this! I wish you would have been involved in this process from the beginning! Seriously, having your input would have been a tremendous help to us.

Looking back on the last effort to create a rec district in 2013, we learned that eminent domain was a deal breaker to many people. We hired and worked with a legal council, who helped us address this issue. Other municipalities in Washington have excluded eminent domain from their ballot measure and we have done the same. By writing the proposition this way, we are able to remove the power of eminent domain from the district, if the district is approved by the voters.

Justin
I'd want to know what municipalities have taken eminent domain out of the formation of Metropolitan Park districts. Names please. Voters can then check if that statement is true. Who is their Council?

I would need to see the exact legal language that they're using to exclude the eminent domain law from the FOB MPD. Any opinion letters from their Council would be helpful.

That reply isn't being transparent, its just word salad.

But this does bring up another issue. Actual governments allow citizens to request government documents for the purpose of transparency. The MPD is in effect a shadow government with its taxing powers, issuing bonds Etc and is not subject to those same transparency requirements and can't be sued. Justin's reply was a good example of what voters can expect.
PAL wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:51 am Removing eminent domain makes me feel so much better about this.
What bothers me more is that this is a regressive tax on the poor.

Rural gentrification is a real concern. Do you believe that Justin's reply is being transparent?
PAL

Post by PAL »

Removing eminent domain makes me feel so much better about this.
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

We have an answer on how eminent domain was removed from the Proposition 1 Aquatics District.
Ray,

I really appreciate your curiosity and effort to understand this! I wish you would have been involved in this process from the beginning! Seriously, having your input would have been a tremendous help to us.

Looking back on the last effort to create a rec district in 2013, we learned that eminent domain was a deal breaker to many people. We hired and worked with a legal council, who helped us address this issue. Other municipalities in Washington have excluded eminent domain from their ballot measure and we have done the same. By writing the proposition this way, we are able to remove the power of eminent domain from the district, if the district is approved by the voters.

Justin
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

I believe I read in the MVN, which issue I don't recall, that Ballard*King was quoted as saying that people were overwhelmingly for the indoor pool.
Which I believe, all 12 of them were. That's 12.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

More questions that were sent to me.

"There are apparently 23 current, existing Metropolitan Park Districts in Washington State. All but one are governed by elected boards, or elected city councils. Why did FOP choose for the permanent governing structure of this proposed MPD an unelected board?

For reference see https://mrsc.org/explore-topics/parks-a ... -districts

The replacement of the failing Wagner Pool is given as the motivating reason to build a new pool. If this is so, why after ~12 self-selected advocates for an indoor pool voiced preference for an indoor aquatic center on the zoom meeting with Ballard*King, did FOP apparently go all in for that option instead of further exploring options for an outdoor replacement for the Wagner Pool?

Did FOP solicit any other cost estimates for an outdoor replacement for the Wagner Pool? If so would that information be posted on your website?

It would be very useful for the Methow voters to be better informed of at least the options as outlined by the preliminary study done by Ballard*King that used to be on the FOP website. Would you repost a link to that study?"

And from another person:

"What happens if the FOP cannot raise enough grant money to cover most of the pool construction costs, which likely will be above their estimates. Will the taxpayers be forced to bail them out with another levy?"

And I'd like to know if the pool would be located in Twisp or Winthrop?

Who will be appointed to the Board of Commissioners?
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Fun CH wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:05 pm Ray, on a personal note would you ask Justin to provide answers in writing to these questions perhaps on the FOP website? Transparency is required now and if this proposition moves forward. Will he be running as a board member and be paid as a non-board member now as soon as funds become available?
I will ask... He is following the comments on this BB...
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

This came to me via text.

Will board of Aquatic District be paid? Will FOP fundraisers be paid? What are the administrative costs above actual operating costs? What happens if MPD gets set up and grant money does not meet fundraising goals? What are fundraising goals? Has any state or federal entity offered any willingness to provide grant money? Has FOP even approached any entity about a grant? WTF is FOP doing?

Ray, on a personal note would you ask Justin to provide answers in writing to these questions perhaps on the FOP website? Transparency is required now and if this proposition moves forward. Will he be running as a board member and be paid as a non-board member now as soon as funds become available?
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

I'd like to know why they chose the most expensive pool option?

Who will be the the park Commissioners and what is their salary? If no salary at the start will that change in the future?

Will they have Civil Service employees and if so will they have pension plans?

What is the estimated cost of purchasing the land for this facility?

What is the estimated cost for the construction of this multiple pool facility?

Why do they not want the voter involvement in things like a Levy vote every six years?

Will homeless people be able to use the mega spa and take shelter from the smoke and/or heat in a air conditioned building similar to the way our public libraries operate?

What is the estimated energy cost of heating and air conditioning?

Who pays the architectural fees and what is the exact amount?

What is the carbon footprint of the structure both in construction and operation?

Will there be for profit Sale of merchandise? If so how will vendors be chosen?

Will a local contractor build this facility or does it go out for bid?

Specifically is this a limited Metropolitan Park District?

Are you able to pick and choose which Washington state laws apply to this MPD?

I'd like to see the language of the proposition that will be put to the voters?

Will children have to be accompanied by at least one of their parents? Or is this to be used as a babysitting service so the parents can go out and play?

Why do they ignore the fact that these additional taxes will put a strain on the 20% of people in the community who are living at or below poverty level?

Are they at least the concerned that the increased taxes will lead to more rural gentrification? Ie, those that can't afford to live here any longer will be forced to move elsewhere.

Are they concerned about increased rents for the poor or people on limited incomes?

Are they concerned for the elderly who are living on fixed incomes and will have to pay increased taxes if this proposition passes?

Are they are concerned that tax money for their major luxury complex may compete with future essential need projects?

Do they understand that the spirit of the Methow is to give and not take? For example None of the recreational projects in this community required tax levies. People gave their time and labor and did the hard work of fund raising for projects such as the community Trail system and the ice rink.

How much money and or Grant commitments have they received.? Is it enough to cover replacing the Wagner pool on site?

What is the estimated water usage per year? How much water is lost to evaporation and how much is returned to the aquifer or river flow?
pasayten

Letter from FOTP Proposition 1 Leader

Post by pasayten »

Got an email...
Hi Ray!

I’m Dave Wilkinsons neighbor, Justin Porter.

I’m leading the effort for proposition 1 (Methow Aquatic District).

I saw your website and met your wife at the farmers market.

I’m wondering if you would meet with me? I’d love the opportunity to sit with you and hear your concerns in person.

The purpose would be to incorporate your constructive feedback, not persuade you of anything.

Justin
So, post your concerns in this thread and I will pass them along with mine.
pasayten
Ray Peterson