There’s Only One Way to Save Our Party From Pro-Trump Extremists

Fun CH

Re: There’s Only One Way to Save Our Party From Pro-Trump Extremists

Post by Fun CH »

pasayten wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:27 am We Are Republicans. There’s Only One Way to Save Our Party From Pro-Trump Extremists...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/11/opin ... trump.html
I'm thinking moderate Democrats need to help elect moderate Replubicans. If one ran for governor here, I'd vote for her. Maybe we'd get our right to drinking water back here in the Methow.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

mister_coffee wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:50 pm I'd be a tiny bit more impressed (or more accurately, less unimpressed) with Ken if he actually engaged in a conversation rather than just resorting to name calling and exhortations.
kind of like this post from you from today? .

"Also, now apparently hydrogen peroxide and betadine are also "treatments" for covid. At least for the kooks."

Add that to your Infamous words "round them up and inject them with a dull needle" and "maybe we should just let the fools die"

Just saying, very impressive David.

Oh the myths we tell ourselves.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

It has been a long time since the US has been "working fine". Probably not since the late 1960s or early 1970s.

The challenge we have is that we have a large body of people who perceive, rightly or wrongly, that they have been screwed over by the "system". They worked all their life at a factory only to see the products that factory made rendered obsolete, or a new factory somewhere else came online that made the same stuff for one tenth the price (made even worse if the new factory was in Japan, China, or Mexico). Or they studied or trained for some specialty job all their life at considerable cost in both time and money only for that job, and the whole class of jobs they trained for, to suddenly become obsolete. Cynical politicians can exploit that discontent for great effect, and blaming others (e.g. LGBTQ people, Mexicans, "elites") while not really doing anything to solve the problem (and often not really understanding the problems that got us here at all). And people who perceive that they are disenfranchised and screwed over are very willing to believe conspiracy theories, especially ones that cast them as heroes. And people like that are fertile ground for extremism of all kinds.

Trumpism is in the end a symptom. It doesn't mean that it isn't deadly in and of itself and desperately needs to be eradicated, but it is still just a symptom.

The system, in its own way, "worked fine" for me, if only because I came of age in the 1980s and figured out early on what the real rules were.

To get out of the hole we are in is probably going to require an end-to-end rethink. Not just of how our government and how our economy work but also of the myths we have about ourselves, the expectations we set, and our definitions of success and happiness. I'm just glad it isn't my job to figure those things out.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Yeah... The Trumplicans just can't believe they are a minority view... Drunk on kool aid and blinded by the lies of their self appointed king... Some day the true Republicans will take back the Party and that will make me happy!
pasayten
Ray Peterson
anonloser

Post by anonloser »

I love that you deleted your posts about the leftists not being willing to have a discussion on a topic, but still jump from thread to thread calling people names and not offering any facts outside of "I'm a first responder so I know how everything works better than you". Perfection.
Last edited by anonloser on Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Honestly, if you two don’t care for me I really think I’m doing something right!
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

I'd be a tiny bit more impressed (or more accurately, less unimpressed) with Ken if he actually engaged in a conversation rather than just resorting to name calling and exhortations.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

dorankj wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:35 pm Hey pot (Ray) meet kettle (David)!
Ha Ken! You're the one to talk... Very comfortable with my walk... and certainly not concerned about your opinion or judgement in this matter. :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Hey pot (Ray) meet kettle (David)!
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Some folks just can't help keep from mixing their politics with their Christian walk.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

dorankj wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:48 pm In a related story, it has been found that the best way to promote Christianity is to practice satanism. Details at 11!
That worldview doesn't make sense, because it implies that there are two religions that are exact polar opposites. It leaves no room for Buddhism, Judaism, Islam, Zoroastrianism, Baha'i, or any of the other innumerable religions in the world.

The Trumpists are a threat to our democracy and very way of life and have to be dealt with, preferably peacefully. Hopefully we can persuade all but the most fervent dead-enders to consider the error of their ways and welcome them back to the community of civilized and decent folk. But one way or another Trumpism has to cease to exist.
anonloser

Post by anonloser »

Modern Satanism is probably closer to actual Christian values than the majority of acting "Christians" today.
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

In a related story, it has been found that the best way to promote Christianity is to practice satanism. Details at 11!
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Oh yeah... we got to watch out for those dang commies!!! The only thing that is currently ridiculous in the Republican Party is Trump.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Haha! How transparent, the ONLY solution to save the party is join the communist party? What a ridiculous POV. Epic fail, “let’s go Brandon!”
pasayten

There’s Only One Way to Save Our Party From Pro-Trump Extremists

Post by pasayten »

We Are Republicans. There’s Only One Way to Save Our Party From Pro-Trump Extremists...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/11/opin ... trump.html
pasayten
Ray Peterson